Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Hanging Post-it Note Memo Board



It is back to school time, and students are looking for cute, fun and functional locker and dorm room decor.

This DIY Memo Board fits the description.  Not only is it simple to make, it is as unique as the person using it, and can be made to hang over a doorknob, or to hang inside of a locker door.


SUPPLIES


lightweight wood plaque
post it notes
acrylic paint and brushes
ribbon (or magnets)
glue
stickers and ephemera for decorating

STEP 1


Paint your plaque

To make my memo board I used a lasercut plaque I got on clearance at Michael's.


But really, any lightweight wood plaque would work.  You can even get a pack of 6 wooden plaques and make one for all of your friends!

I painted the center of my plaque with Folk Art Sunny Yellow paint.  I painted the fancy edges with Dazzling Metallics Peacock Pearl.

I used washi tape to mask the edges I already painted while I put the paint on the center.



OPTIONAL: If you don't want to paint your plaque you can decorate it using colorful patterned scrapbook paper instead!

STEP 2


Decorate your plaque.

This is the fun part, and you're not limited on how you decorate it.  You can use stickers, ephemera, or even more paint like I did.



I used a stencil (I think it was a recollections one from Michael's) to paint blue polka dots on the yellow background.



The only thing to keep in mind while decorating is that you must leave room for your post its somewhere on the board.

STEP 3


Attach your ribbon.

If your plaque has a fancy edge like mine does, you can tie the ribbon on with a pretty bow.



If it is a plain plaque then you can use hot glue or tacky glue to tack the ends of the ribbons to the back. (I actually used this method on mine.)  If the plaque is thick enough you could also keep the ribbon in place with a thumbtack or staple.

OPTIONAL: If you don't want to hang your memo board with a ribbon you can use these ceramic magnets.  Just glue them to the back and you can stick your board to the fridge or inside of a school locker!

STEP 4


Put on your post-it notes and proudly display.



You'll notice my post-its are star shaped.  Post-it notes have come a LONG way from sticky yellow squares. Click here to check out a few of the shapes available!

HINT: Don't try to stick a whole pad of Post-its to the board at once.  Post-its are not THAT sticky.  Just stick up a few pages at time and refill as needed.

What do you think of my memo board?  Will you try making one of your own?  If you do I would LOVE to see the results!

2 comments:

  1. That looks really cute. I wonder if my daughter would like something like that in her locker for school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She might would like making her own. Just put magnets on the back and its perfect to go in a locker.

      Delete