Monday, August 17, 2015

Flower Prints From a Gelli Plate


Today was a rainy day in my world.  Early in the morning a thunder storm rolled in.

I sat down in front of youtube feeling rather uninspired, and started watching craft videos.  Then, in the playlist, one by The Frugral Crafter popped up and she was making floral prints with her gelli plate.

I have an 8"x10" gelli plate and I love to use it, but rarely pull it out.  I don't know why.

A Gelli Plate is a permanent mono-printing tool.  It is a squishy plasticy material that you smear paint on, then press paint on, and it makes a LOVELY print.  The best part is that even if you do the exact same thing a second time, you're print is not going to be exactly the same.  That is the joy of mono-printing.  One of a kind prints with every pull.

In the video I watched today she made a painting of a daffodil using her gelli plate and made it look so easy that I wanted to try myself.

The flower I used first was an iris.

In the video the technique was to start with the background first, then add the image one layer of paint at a time, starting from the back and working forward.

Lindsay made it look super easy in her video.  Mine did not come out as "realistic" as her, but I do enjoy the results.

This was my iris.


And I liked the iris so much I decided to try my hand at the daffodil too.  In fact, I was inspired to do a triptych.  Three related prints.  I was going to do a daffodil then a rose.

Here is my daffodil.


 I didn't like the results of my daffodil as much as I did my iris.  I didn't do the rose because I had to stop and feed my son.  I might save my rose print for another rainy day.

If you want to try your hand at making flower prints from a Gelli Plate, then I suggest you watch the video below.  It is the one that inspired me.



What do you think of my flowers? Which one do you like best?
Feel free to let me know in the comments.
If you REALLY like them, PLEASE share them on Pinterest or any other social media so other people can like them too.

2 comments:

  1. Love your prints! Nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They turned out much better than I expected. Specially the Iris.

      Delete